I came up with this quick-and-dirty apple pie recipe out of sheer laziness...
I really didn't feel like making pie crust.
So this pie is made from toast. Yup, toast!
And the best part of all, it tastes like the real thing...
well pretty darn close anyway ; )
I used raison bread for this recipe, but any old bread will do.
Read on for the recipe....
APPLE CINNAMON TOASTIE PIES
(makes 2 individual pies)
2 slices bread (I used raison bread)
2 Tbs butter, room temperature
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
optional: vanilla ice cream to serve, for the full experience!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix cinnamon & sugar in a small bowl, then mix with butter. This will make a little more spread than you need, but it keeps in the fridge and makes a great breakfast spread for toast.
3. Peel and slice apple into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 min 30 seconds. Then set aside.
4. Cut crusts off bread. Then using your fingers (or a rolling pin) smush/squish the bread down to a pancake. Butter one side of each bread with plain butter. On the other side generously & evenly spread the cinnamon-sugar-butter mixture.
5. Push the bread into muffin tins, butter side down (cinnamon side up). Fill centres with apple slices, then fold corners of bread over top to seal the pie. Don't be afraid to really squish it down so that the top sticks. Sprinkle top with a bit of sugar.
6. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or until tops of toastie-pies are golden.
7. Remove from muffin tins and serve warm with ice cream. Enjoy!