I love making soups with a bit of kick. And I love experimenting with new flavours... which is why I like making Tom Yum soup. There are so many different flavours in this soup (ginger, lemongrass, chile, lime leaf), and they all come together as something altogether unique (and totally delicious too!).
How to make Tom Yum soup
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Then peel & dice the sweet potato (into 1 cm cubes) and place in a well-oiled baking dish. Bake until soft (approximately 25 minutes). Then set aside.
- Saute the onion, garlic, chile, ginger, lime leaves, lemon grass, celery and celery leaves in the oil over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Add in the chile powder, stir, and then add in the soup stock and fish sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add in the coriander leaves, tomato wedges, coconut milk and cooked sweet potato, stir gently and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Adjust taste with salt & pepper as desired. Sometimes a teaspoon of sugar brings the flavours together nicely.
- Serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!