My parents are visiting me up north this week, which is wonderful because I have extra hands to hold the baby, and extra hands to help out in the kitchen.
This means we'll be having some very scrumptious meals this week : )
Last night, my mother & I made these delicious veggie burgers and I thought I'd share the recipe with you this morning.
The finely chopped portobello mushrooms inside them gives them a lovely meaty texture and the quinoa and zucchini keeps them wonderfully moist. This one is a keeper : )
Read on for the recipe...
Quinoa Portobello Veggie Burgers
2 portobello mushrooms, cleaned & stemmed
1 small zucchini, finely grated
4 Tbs olive oil
1 large shallot, minced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 tsp salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1 large egg
1 cup bread crumbs
- In a food processor pulse the mushrooms until finely chopped (or finely chop with a knife). Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbs olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and sauté shallot and red pepper flakes for 2 minutes (until soft). Then add the chopped mushrooms and grated zucchini and sauté another 2-3 minutes, until cooked.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add in the cooked quinoa, parmesan and salt & pepper to taste. Allow to cool a little, then add in the egg and breadcrumbs. At this point the mix can be covered and refrigerated for later use. Refrigerating for at least one hour makes for firmer burgers but this is not necessary.
- Shape burger mixture into desired-sized patties by pressing firmly together (about 1 inch thickness)
- Heat 2 Tbs olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook burgers in batches until golden brown (about 3 minutes per side).
- Serve with freshly baked buns for extra deliciousness, and whatever burger toppings you like. We used this recipe for the buns and it was amazing!